Sunday 18 December 2011

Mixed Tomato Chutney

Another festive favourite mixed tomato chutney

This year my tomatoes didnt really ripen, I had 15 tomato plants which mainly consisted of green tomatoes.  Chutney is a great way of using these usually wasted fruits up.  I have plenty of jars of this chutney, I harvested (well my mum did) the remainder tomatoes in October.  I quickly batched these up so they would be perfect for a christmas gift.  This is my tried and tested Nigel Slater recipe

Recipe

Ingredients:
  • 900g tomatoes, mixed green and red
  • 350g onions
  • 90g raisins
  • 250g light muscovado sugar
  • 1 medium sized, hot red chilli
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
  • 300ml white wine vinegar

Method:
  1. Halve the tomatoes.
  2.  Put the green fruit together with the peeled and roughly chopped onions, into a large stainless- steel or enamelled pan with the raisins, sugar, chilli, salt, mustard seeds and vinegar.
  3.  Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and leave to simmer for an hour, giving the occasional stir to reduce the risk of the chutney sticking.
  4. After about 25 minutes cooking, add the ripe tomatoes and continue to simmer.
  5. Then spoon into sterilized jars and seal.
To add an extra christmassy feel, you can add trimmings around the lid, I have put a latte spoon to make this as a complete gift as you can see from the picture.



This is a simple recipe, I urge people to try it!! You will love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment