This year my tomatoes didnt really ripen, I had 15 tomato plants which mainly consisted of green tomatoes. Chutney is a great way of using these usually wasted fruits up. I have plenty of jars of this chutney, I harvested (well my mum did) the remainder tomatoes in October. I quickly batched these up so they would be perfect for a christmas gift. This is my tried and tested Nigel Slater recipe
- 900g tomatoes, mixed green and red
- 350g onions
- 90g raisins
- 250g light muscovado sugar
- 1 medium sized, hot red chilli
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 300ml white wine vinegar
- Halve the tomatoes.
- Put the green fruit together with the peeled and roughly chopped onions, into a large stainless- steel or enamelled pan with the raisins, sugar, chilli, salt, mustard seeds and vinegar.
- Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and leave to simmer for an hour, giving the occasional stir to reduce the risk of the chutney sticking.
- After about 25 minutes cooking, add the ripe tomatoes and continue to simmer.
- Then spoon into sterilized jars and seal.
This is a simple recipe, I urge people to try it!! You will love it!